PRACTICE OF BRAHMACHARYAM : SECTION II : 13 - 3. :. SWAMI SIVANANDA.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, June 20, 2021. 9:06.AM.
13. SOME IDEAL BRAHMACHARINS-3.
3. Bhishma Pithamaha
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Bhishma’s father was Santanu, who was the ruler of Hastinapura. His mother was Ganga Devi. His early name was Devavrata. He was an incarnation of Vasu Devata.

One day Santanu went into the forests, close to the banks of the Yamuna, for hunting. He came across a handsome maiden. He said to her, “Who are you? What are you doing here?” She replied, “I am the daughter of Dasaraja, the fisher-chief. My name is Satyavati. I am engaged at his command in rowing the boat for taking passengers across the river”.

King Santanu wanted to marry her. He went to Dasaraja and asked his consent. The fisher-chief replied, “I am quite willing to give my daughter to you in marriage. But, first, I want you to give me a promise”.

The king replied, “O Dasaraja, what is that? I will certainly do what lies in my power”. The fisher-chief said, “The son born of my daughter should succeed you”.

Santanu did not wish to give this pledge to the fisher-chief, because his valiant and intelligent son Devavrata, whom he loved intensely, would have to abandon the throne. He would no longer be the heir apparent. But the fire of love for the maiden burnt him. He was in a great dilemma. He grew pale and did not take any interest in the affairs of the state. He opened his heart to the chief minister whom he trusted, but the latter was not able to advise him in the matter. Santanu tried to conceal his love for the maiden from his son Devavrata.

Devavrata was wise and was very strong. He suspected something and thought that his father was unhappy. He said to his father, “O beloved father! You are prosperous. You have got everything. There should be no cause for your anxiety. Why are you cheerless now? You are losing your vigour and strength. Kindly let me know the reason for your grief. I am ever ready to do what lies in my power to remove it.”

The king replied, “O beloved Devavrata! You are my only son. If any calamity falls on you, I will become sonless. I will be deprived of heaven. You are equal to a hundred sons. Therefore, I do not want to marry again. But one son is no son according to the words of the Rishis. These thoughts are troubling me in my mind”.

Thereupon, Devavrata, accompanied by the old minister and many respectable Kshatriya chiefs, went to Dasaraja and pleaded on behalf of his father. He asked him to give his daughter to his father in marriage.

The fisher-chief replied, “O amiable prince! I have already told your father about the condition on  which I can give, my daughter in marriage to him”. Devavrata said, “O fisher-chief! I make a solemn declaration now that the son that may be born of this girl shall succeed my father to the throne. I shall do all that you wish”.

The fisher-chief said, “I highly appreciate your noble character and high ideal. But your sons may expel my daughter’s son at any time at their sweet will. I entertain a grave doubt on this point.

Devavrata prayed, “O Truth! Dwell in me for ever. Come and pervade my whole being! Give me inner strength to stick to the vow of perfect celibacy that I am going to take now in the presence of these people!”. He then resolutely said to the fisher-chief, “O Dasaraja! Listen to what I say. From today, I shall lead a life of strict Naishthika Brahmacharya till the end of my life. All the women of the world are my mothers. I am the most devoted and loyal subject of the King of Hastinapura. If I die sonless, I shall yet attain the abode of eternal bliss and immortality”.

From heaven at that time, the celestial damsels, the gods and the assemblage of sages showered flowers on him and said, “This is verily Bhishma, the Terrible!”.

The fisher-chief said, “O prince! I am quite ready now to give my daughter in marriage to your father”. Thereupon, the fisherman and his daughter accompanied Devavrata to the palace of Santanu. The old minister informed the king about all that had happened. The monarchs who assembled in the hall greatly appreciated the extraordinary spirit of self-sacrifice and renunciation of Devavrata and said, “Devavrata is really Bhishma, the Terrible”. 

Since then, Devavrata bore the name of Bhishma. King Santanu was immensely pleased with the noble conduct of his son and conferred upon him the boon of death at will. He said, “May the gods protect you! Death shall never come to you as long as you wish to live”.

What an exalted soul! This noble example is an unprecedented one in the history of the world. No one save Bhishma, on the surface of this earth, had made such a great sacrifice for the sake of filial duty at such a young age. Bhishma’s filial duty and piety might very well be compared to that of Lord Rama.

Bhishma was very firm, in his principles. He was absolutely free from the slightest tinge of selfishness. He was an embodiment of self-denial and self-sacrifice. His power of endurance and patience in all the difficult trials he met with, were marvellous and unprecedented. He was matchless in fortitude and courage. All men honoured him. All the Kshatriya chiefs paid their homage to him. He was a mighty Yogi and a sage. He was above body consciousness. He rested in his own Satchidananda Svarupa. That is the reason why he was peaceful and serene even though he was pierced by sharp arrows all over his body. Lying on the bed of sharp arrows which was as soft as a bed of flowers to him, he gave wonderful discourses on political, philosophical, religious, social and moral subjects to Yudhishthira. Have you ever heard of anyone, save Bhishma, in the history of the world, who was able to give lofty and sublime discourses on his deathbed? Bhishma laid his life for others. He lived to serve and elevate others. The noble life led by the high-souled Bhishma of mighty will-force still inspires sterling virtues in those who study his discourses in the Santi Parva. Bhishma died long, long ago, but his voice in the Santi Parva and his ideal and exalted life awaken slumbering people to action, righteousness, duty and enquiry, rigorous Tapas and meditation, to this day.

Glory to Bhishma, whose exemplary life of Brahmacharya inspires our hearts even today and elevates our minds to magnanimous heights of divine glory and splendour.

End.

Next- SECTION III. TECHNIQUES OF SEX SUBLIMATION : 14. SUPPRESSION AND SUBLIMATION
To be continued ....


=========================================================================================

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#swissleaks: Top 100 HSBC account holders with Indian addresses

12. Abdul Karim Telgi-convicted Indian counterfeiter :-. (Majority Bharatiya politicians are corrupt, and their transactions are scandals, since Independence to till this day, Congress leading in this, others to follow!!! except few good Characters!)

SRIMAD BHAGAVAD GITA : 6. SWAMI SIVANANDA - "As Youth today, is misguided, by external evil forces, such as different wings of dirty political parties and politicians - Congress, communists, all family owned regional parties, foolish media, and other evils, such as Christians and Muslims, fundamentalist / arrogant / separatist - Hurriyat of Kashmir + foolish stone pelting youth, /showing dis-respect to the Nation; Secondly. students are attracted by evils in the society, spread by various mafia demons, such as smoking, tobacco, pan masala, alcohol drugs etc; Parents, Teachers have very high responsibility to keep a watch on these diversions "